CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Refuse to be Outsmarted by a 2 year old!


If there is one thing I love about my girls, it is their strong will! If there is one thing that frustrates me and wears on my patience more than anything about my girls, it is their strong will! These two constantly keep me guessing and on the edge of my seat, and this potty training adventure has been no different.

So I think where we left off last, Kylee was pretty much trained and Kaylyn had no interest at all.

Well within the last week Kaylyn asked to use the potty and this time she actually took to it! Success!! She has now been accident free for 3 days! Yay!!

BUT (there is always a But isn't there!), since Kaylyn has started using the potty, Kylee had completely regressed. She wouldn't use the potty at all, and she was having accidents left and right.

They completely pulled a fast one on me, and switched!!

One of the cornerstone's of Potty Training, in everything you read, is that you cannot get upset when your kid has an accident. Well, what if your kid purposefully soils the carpet, then do you have a right to get upset? And yes, I do mean Purposefully! After multiple accidents in one day, I finally put a diaper on Kylee. She fought it at first, but left it on for about 30 minutes until she then decided to take it off and pee right in the middle of the floor! She knew exactly what she was doing, and walked over to me and told me I needed to go clean up the Pee on the Carpet! Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't get it. Nothing had changed. She still gets just as much praise and stickers as she always had. What gives?

I knew it was too good to be true. No way could I have both of them trained and out of diapers that easily. And I was right!

They say that you shouldn't bribe your kid's, well I say you have to do what works. So bribery it was!

Yesterday after Kaylyn's 2nd day of Potty Success. I rewarded her at the end of the day with an ice cream. Ice cream is a big deal in our house, and Kylee was not happy that she did not get to partake in this special treat. I thought for sure that this was the motivation she needed to get back on the bandwagon.

I got her up this morning. We had the "talk" about no accidents, and Pee-pee goes in the potty, and wouldn't you know it 5 minutes later she peed right in the middle of the carpet!

Now I am waving my white flag!

I give up! I don't care if this kid goes to college in diapers. I am tired of cleaning carpets! Especially for a kid that *knows* how to use the potty, but for whatever reason is refusing to do so! So back to diapers for Kylee it was....

Then something magical happened at 5 o'clock tonight. Kylee told me she had to pee, I took her diaper off, and she Peed in the Potty!! I don't think I have made a bigger deal about anything in my life! I am still not even sure what caused the change of heart, but whatever it was I am not questioning it!

An hour and a half later, she put herself on the potty and peed again.....in the POTTY!!! WooHoo! Maybe we are making progress??

So, at the end of this day I am cautiously optimistic that Kylee is back on board with this Potty Training thing. I am also so proud of how well Kaylyn is doing! I feel like we are so close, yet so far away! I guess we shall wait and see what tomorrow brings!

5 comments:

Emily on March 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM said...

Congrats on the mini-success! I guess that's what life is like with twins - lots of forward and backward movement, with plenty of head-shaking and laughing thrown in!

I have a random question for you - I thought I remembered you mentioning in an old post that you used a video monitor for your girls' room. Is that still the case? I am looking into purchasing one for my twins (even though they're no longer infants - I'd still like to see what they're up to in there!), but I don't know what model works best for viewing two cribs in the same room. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kyrstyn on March 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM said...

Emily, I have the Summer Infant Best View monitor and it is great. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Handheld-Monitor-Screen/dp/B001NAATW0

It pans easily ALL over the room, and the picture is clear as well. I also like that the monitor is portable, so I can drag it around with me.

I love being able to see what they are up to in there. It has made life so much easier! My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner!

Karen R on March 15, 2010 at 9:27 PM said...

oh my, what a rollercoaster! glad they are both doing good for now! don't feel bad about bribes--there is a difference btwn bribes and rewards as motivators--if they know ahead of time what the reward is, and you are consistent, then go for it!
Addisyn has only been getting to watch her TV show for being a good girl brushing her teeth each night--it took 4 days for her to catch on (3 of the days were no TV days), but we've now gone a week straight of cooperative teeth brushing, so it's working!

marcy on March 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM said...

I'm sorry, but as I read this all I could do was laugh! Your girls are adorable and you will definitely have some fun stories to share with them when they get older. Good luck in the meantime!

Arjun and Indira on March 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM said...

I know this is late comment because you said on FB they are accident free for a week!!! That is just awesome just wanted to say congrats. There will be weeks where they have a few more accidents here and there but overtime get better and regress. Apparently they do this until they are 4 so don't dismay. You got over the biggest hurdle so far and that is just WONDERFUL!!!