CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 21, 2009

Double Ear Infection and Pink Eye




For the last couple of days, Kaylyn seemed to be a little "off". She just was not acting like her happy-go-lucky self, and she was more whiney and clingy than normal. I didn't think much of it, but then shotly thereafter her nose started running, she started coughing and sneezing a bit, and her eyes looked a little puffy. Keith and I decided that she must have allergies and kind of left it at that.

Yesterday afternoon when she woke up from her nap her Eye was all goopy and gross. I wiped it off (thinking it was sleep goobers), and not 10 minutes later there was more goop. I decided I better call the Dr and see what they say. I talked to the triage nurse and she wanted me to bring her in right away. She got us an appointment, and off we went.

I took Kaylyn to the Dr, and Keith stayed home with Kylee. The entire time we were gone, Kaylyn was extremely concerned about where Kylee was. She kept asking where her sissy was, and why she wasn't buckled in her seat. It isn't very often that one of them goes somewhere without the other one.

The Dr. determined that Kaylyn has Conjuctivitis (Pink Eye) and a double ear infection! I had no idea! Her eyes weren't even pink, so pink eye did not even cross my mind. Apparently, not everyone actually gets the pink coloring in their eyes with this infection. I felt so bad for my little bug! The Dr prescribed Eye drop antibiotics to do away with the Conjunctivitis and Oral antibiotics for the ear infection.

After wrestling her down, and fighting her to get the eye drops in her eyes to seemingly no avail, a friend of mine gave me some great advice! She told me to try having her close her eyes and put the drops in her tear ducts, then when she opens her eyes the drops with cover the entirety of her eye ball. I gave it a try, and it worked like a charm! Thankfully, Kaylyn loves the oral antibiotics so that is not a problem at all.

As many of you probably know, Pink Eye is highly contagious! It also has an incubation period of 1-2 weeks before any symptoms show up, but it is still contagious during that time. Right now, Kylee hasn't shown any symptoms of having it but that doesn't mean we are in the clear. We are currently on Pink Eye Quarantine and won't be going anywhere for a few days.

4 comments:

Annie on August 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM said...

Hope the girls gets well soon.

Karen R on August 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM said...

good advice on the eye drops--I'll put that in my memory bank!

Hope the girls are better asap

laser eye correction surgery on June 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM said...

How's the feeling now? Anyway,thank you so much for this wealth of information.

jayn

eyelid plastic surgery los angeles on April 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM said...

It is very painful when children go through these infections as they have to fight it and the parent administer drops and medicines as instructed by the physician.