CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 6, 2009

17 Months Old



Can someone please tell me where the last 17 months have gone?? I seriously cannot wrap my head around how fast time is flying. The girls are doing so good, and getting so big.

No real new milestones to report in the last month, but they have been perfecting a lot of their skills. Everyday their vocabulary continues to grow and improve. I reported last month that neither one of them knew how to say the word "No", unfortunately that is no longer the case. It is very cute because when they say no they also shake their finger back and forth. Their current favorite word is "Up", and although I am thrilled they are starting to communicate their wants/needs, I have to admit that it gets a little old hearing it ALL day long from 2 toddlers!
Kaylyn is saying "Shoooooe" as she grabs her daddy's shoe!

Their understanding of things is phenomenal. They are extremely good at following all kinds of simple commands. They have also started communicating when they need their diaper to be changed. They will walk over grab a diaper, bring it to me and say "Poo-poo Mamma" or "Pee-pee Mamma", and they are right. We have 2 potty's in their bathroom and they sit on them every night before bath time. They have both actually peed in the potty a handful of times, but nothing consistent. I have been doing a little potty training research and although it is good that they are recognizing that they need to be changed, it usually just means that they are uncomfortable. Once they proactively start telling me that they need to go to the bathroom, I will start potty training. I have heard and read that 20 months is optimal for potty training girls. Of course all kids are different. We won't venture into all of that until they show interest and are ready. I don't want to set the girls or myself up for frustration and disappointment. It will all happen in good time. In the meantime, they love being my audience every time I go to the bathroom!

I am in awe of what good eaters these girls are. The only food that they refuse to eat is oatmeal, and I think that was mostly due to the texture. Other than that, they eat anything and everything!

I think the girls are working on cutting some new teeth. I know for sure that Kaylyn got a molar recently, but it is really challenging to figure out what is going on in those little mouths. It is dangerous business sticking my fingers in there to investigate. From what I could tell, their gums on both sides are pretty swollen and I wouldn't be surprised if more teeth popped through any day.

Both of the girls love to try and put their shoes on all by themselves. I think we are at the beginning stages of them wanting to be independent! Depending on which pair of shoes they are working with, they actually do a pretty good job getting them on and off. It is funny how they will spend upwards of 20 minutes at a time working at it, sometimes longer. These two are definitely determined!
The days of 2 naps is quickly coming to an end. I find this milestone to be both bitter-sweet. I love nap time for my time, but I think I would prefer 1 long nap vs. 2 short naps, especially if the short naps are hit or miss. The last couple of days the second nap has been pretty much non-existent, so I think its time to just adjust their one and only nap to the middle of the day.

I can't believe we are only a month away from being a year and a half old!! I am so proud of my little girls. They are both doing awesome, especially considering they are only 14 months adjusted! I don't know how I got so lucky!
The girls pushing their own shopping cart through petsmart!

1 comments:

Unknown on March 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM said...

Oh they sound like they are doing great!!!!!