CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 16, 2007

I Fired a Nurse from Taking Care of the Girls



Well Wednesday I fired a nurse from taking care of the girls. I was so incredibly infuriated, I cannot even begin to tell you! Kaylyn is on continuous feeds (at that time over a period of 1 1/2 hours) and this nurse was giving her feedings over 30 min! This caused her to de-sat into the 60's, then the nurse didn't even come in the room when the alarms were going off, I had to go get her. They had to put Kaylyn on a blow-by oxygen mask to get her saturation's back up. There is a REASON the Dr. has her feedings going over an extended period of time!! Dumb Lady!! I was soo angry, I called the charge nurse and made sure that she will never be taking care of either one of my daughters again!!

The girls are both doing extremely well. Kaylyn is still breathing on her own, and doing fine with it (other than when the nurse tried to flood her with food!), and Kylee is almost ready to finally come off of the nasal cannula. They tried taking her off yesterday, and she did OK for a few hours, and then she started working a little hard, and tiring out, so they put her back on the low flow. I'm guessing a couple days and she will be free of it.

Today the occupational therapist is supposed to come in and work with them on bottle feeding. Premature babies have to be taught how to suck, swallow, and breath at the same time, where are with a full term baby it is a natural instinct. I am hopeful it will go well. As soon as they master this, they will get to come home!! The nurses have told me it could take up to 3-4 weeks for them to get the hang of it. But that is still before Christmas, and that is our goal!

I gave both of the girls baths yesterday all by myself! It went better than I thought it was going to, I guess I am learning. Of course right after I finished Kaylyn's bath and got her dressed and comfy back in bed, she spit up all over herself. So I got her cleaned up again, and comfy and she was fine. One benefit to this whole NICU stay is I am getting tons of practice before I have to take them home.

I think that's all for now, we are one day closer to having them home. Get ready for the big Naylor Baby Homecoming Party!!!

0 comments: