CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kylee's Turn



This time it was Kylee's turn to get sick and scare the heck out of her Mommy!

For the last 3 days or so, the girls have both had chest colds. As Kaylyn's seemed to be getting better, Kylee's was getting significantly worse. This morning she was very "crackly" with every breath she took. I called the after hours nurse hotline, and she suggested I put her in the bathroom for 20 min with the shower on HOT so she could get a steam treatment to hopefully clear her up. So we did that, and although the steam seemed to work for the Crackles, she was now wheezing pretty bad. UGH! So I called the nurse back, and she told me to take her to Urgent Care. So off we went.

We got there and we were seen within 5 minutes, which was very nice. The Dr. listened to her lungs and initially was concerned that is was pneumonia, so he ordered a chest x-ray. He told me up front that if it is pneumonia, she would definitely have to be admitted to the hospital. "Oh great, here were go again", is what I thought to myself. Well they did the chest x-ray and thankfully she doesn't have pneumonia, but she does have bronchiolitis (not bronchitis). Bronchiolitisis an illness of the respitatory tract caused by an infection that affects the tiny airways, called the bronchioles, that lead to the lungs. As these airways become inflamed, they swell and fill with mucus, making breathing difficult.

They gave her a breathing treatment there at the Urgent Care, and wrote us a prescription for an oral steroid that she will need to take for the next 5 days. The breathing treatment made such a difference, and she started to sound better immediately. I am going to call the girls primary Dr on Monday and see if she can arrange to get us a nebulizer for us to keep at the house so we don't have to run out and get these breathing treatments all the time... it seems to be a rathercommon need for us.

Right now she is in bed for the night, and I am hoping she is able to get some rest so she can start to get better. These girls are going to give me gray hair before I am 30!

7 comments:

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ on January 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM said...

I follow your blog and just love your posts. I have twins (boy and girl) and have really found a lot of great advice and guidance within your blog. I thank you so much for that. Your girls are so cute and I am so sorry to hear that she is sick. I hope for full recovery soon. I look forward to your future posts. :)

KGplus3 on January 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM said...

Get better quick Kylee. And both you girls need to stop scaring Mommy & giving her gray hairs! (at least we can't see them through the blond ;-) ) Hope tomorrow's a better day.

marcy on January 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM said...

My goodness, I think they are just having withdrawls from seeing their auntie marcy! I'm glad she didn't have to stay in the hospital though and hopefully that will be the last of doctors for a little while! Take care...

marcy on January 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM said...

btw... I love that picture!

Cynthia on January 25, 2009 at 7:02 AM said...

Poor baby girl! I'm glad the breathing treatment helped. WHEW on avoiding the hospital stay. I hope she continues to improve.

Unknown on January 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM said...

Hope Kylee is feeling much better.

Anonymous said...

I hope she's better and I hope you're doing ok too. What is up with sick kids?! I can't wait until the weather changes!!!:)