CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Our First Trip to the ER


Since the end of last week Kylee has just not been herself. She was coughing and wheezing last Thursday so I took her to the Dr. They did a chest x-ray and ruled out pneumonia, but the Dr said that she probably had a mild case of RSV. They said to watch it and if anything changed to give them a call.

On Sunday afternoon Kylee spiked a 103ยบ fever. Thankfully we were able to get it under control with Tylenol, but as soon as the tylenol wore off the fever would jump right up again. Then yesterday afternoon she spiked a fever again. I called the Dr's office, but by the time they called me back the office was already closed. The nurse told me that it would be best to take her to Childrens hospital ER just to be safe.

So we packed up the girls and made the hour journey down to San Diego. Keith dropped Kylee and I off at the hospital and he went with Kaylyn over to his parents house. We didn't want Kaylyn to be exposed to all those germs if she didn't have to be.

So I walked in to the ER and proceed to check in and the nurse asked me how old she was and I told her she was 5 months old, but she was a 28 week preemie so she is about 9 weeks adjusted. The nurse then says to me "Just so you know...its not neccessary to use her adjusted age, she isn't a preemie anymore. She is just 5 months old". I was livid, she was so incredibly rude! I then told her "Just so YOU know, she is not even close to being a 5 month old infant, and her pedi says they will use her adjusted age until she is 2".

So then we waited for 2 hours to go to secondary triage (where they take vital signs etc...) and I have a baby, a car seat and a diaper bag in my hands and the nurse asked me to put her on the scale. Doesn't try to help me in the least. I asked her what her weight was and she told me I needed to multiply the KG by 2.2. OK let me just bust out my calculator with all of my free hands. I then explained to her that I wanted to know if she had lost any weight because she hasn't been eating good. The nurse then tells me she weighs about 10lbs. So I said "So you are telling me she has lost a pound and a half in 4 days!?!". Then she goes "No, shes probably right around the same as she was last week..." WTF!

So then we wait for 5 more hours just to be called into a room, the nurse did a quick 30 second assessment and we didn't see anyone else for 3 more hours when the Dr came in. The nurse never came in once to check on us or see if anything had changed the entire time.

The room we were in was revolting. There was crap all over the floor, there were old dirty wrappers on the counter, and worst of all there was Blood splattered all over the wall. I wouldn't even lay Kylee on the gurney because even that was gross and filthy. Keep in mind, Kylee is not allowed to eat anything until the Dr sees her so she is hungry on top of not feeling good.

The Dr finally comes and I told her about how the pedi said that she may have RSV etc...she refused to swab to see if she had it or not. She said she didn't think she had it because her lungs sounded clear. All they did after all of this was take a urine sample and diagnose her with the stomach flu. I am hoping thats really all it is. I will NEVER take them back there again.

It was a terrible experience! I have never seen such unprofessionalism in my life. Supposedly this hospital is one of the best. I would really hate to see the worst!

Kylee seems to be doing better today. She is more herself smiling and laughing and carrying on. Thankfully Kaylyn doesn't seem to have any of the symptoms Kylee had, and miraculously even though we share bottles and binkies she seems to have gotten through this without getting sick.

They both love to gnaw on their hands. Its the new phase of the week. Its fine with me though because they seem to be losing interest in their binkies. I am all for them learning how to self soothe.

We spent the weekend at Keith's parents house so we could see them before they left for San Felipe. The girls LOVE grandma's bed. They pass out and sleep for hours. Its truly amazing.

We spent lots of time outside and looked at all the pretty flowers and played with bubbles (which the girls absolutely loved!). It was nice and relaxing to be outside enjoying the fresh air. It was so beautiful outside and that made it that much better!

Keith went back to work this morning and he be home on Thursday. I am glad Kylee is feeling better because I was stressing about staying home with a sick baby all by myself.

I hope this day finds everyone well. Until next time.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! How awful for that to be a "Children's Hospital" and be so rude and filthy. I am glad to hear the girls are better and you are not having to deal w/sick girlies while Keith is working. Make sure to fill out the survey the hospital sends you! Love and miss you~Floryna