CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 8, 2007

Newest Additions to the Naylor Family


Here is the story of how it all went down....

As most of you know I was admitted to the hospital for Bedrest at 25weeks 1 day for Pre-Term labor, funneled membranes, and cervical dilation. While in the hospital they had me on Mag, Niphedipine, Terbutaline, and Endocin to stop the contractions and try and prevent the girls from coming too early.

Well my girls are determined, and yesterday morning my contractions came on really strong despite all the medications they had given me. My dr. did a cervical exam around 1300 and determined I was 4cm dilated and she could feel Baby A's (Kylee) Head. At that point they were going to still try and control the labor but it wasn't looking good. Kylee also had some questionable hear decelerations, and they were watching that very closely. Any signs of fetal distress and they were going to take the girls out immediately.

At 1330 I called Keith at work and told him he should probably get down to the hospital. Luckily, he had just finished a call and was offloading a patient at a nearby hospital, so he was able to come over right away. By the time he got here they were shipping me directly down to the OR. My contractions hadn't let up, Kylee was still having decel's, and they did not want to chance the labor progressing any more on its own. Keith had to scrub up in his work uniform.

At 1442 on October 6, 2007 Kylee Anne was born. She weighed 2lbs 10oz and was 15 inches long. Her sister Kaylyn Marie followed at 1443, and she weighed in at 3lbs 1 oz. also 15 inches long. Since they were still very much so premature, Keith didn't get the opportunity to cut the cord. Neither one of them was breathing or crying. They quickly and swiftly sent them off to get resuscitated and stabilized, and then to the NICU.

Keith got to go with the girls during this journey, so it was nice to know that their daddy was with them. It was however, what seemed like FOREVER until I got an update that they were doing well. They recovered me in PACU for about 2 hours before taking me up to my room. On my way to the room we stopped by the NICU and I got to see my little Twincess' for the first time myself. Keith just could not stop repeating how perfect they were and how beautiful they are.

They were both doing considerably well for their gestation upon arrival in the NICU. Thankfully, I had gotten Steroid shots when I was originally admitted into the hospital, and they gave me a booster about 2 hours before I delivered, so that helped tremendously with their lung development. Within just a couple hours, they had started weaning both girls off the ventilator. Kylee had to have a blood transfusion last night due to a low hematocrit level. And they have both had to have some supplementation of electrolytes (i.e. calcium, potassium etc...) to keep their levels at a normal rate, which apparently is very common with Preemies.

Yesterday they had already extubated Kylee, and she is doing quite well. They say Kaylyn is still pretty dependent on her ventilator and it could be a couple of days before she is extubated, but they are slowly weaning her off of it. They both are stable at this point, and look great.

I am doing good as well. I was up and walking around within hours of the c-section. It is amazing how motivated you are to get out of bed when, A-you have been on strict hospital bedrest for 3 weeks, and B-you have 2 beautiful girls in the NICU to go see.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and support. We have a long road ahead of us, but I am very optimistic!!
Kylee

Kaylyn

0 comments: