CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 12, 2007

Would have been 29 Weeks Today



Even though I am not pregnant anymore, they still age the girls based on gestational weeks, so today I would have been 29 weeks pregnant.

So pretty much the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life was drive away from the hospital on Wednesday when I was discharged. I was a mess. I am sorry if you have called and I have not called you back. Pretty much my life consists of sleeping, pumping, or being at the girls bedside. Please do not take it personally.

The girls continue to improve, but there are a couple lingering issues. They both still have the PDA, which is the opening of the valve in their heart. Kaylyn finished her first round of medication, and the follow up cardiac ultrasound yesterday revealed that the duct was still open. So they started her on her second round of medicine yesterday. Kylee finished her first round of medicine last night, and they plan on doing her follow up cardiac ultrasound today. Keep you fingers crossed that it closed! Once she is off the this medicine, she should be able to start eating, and that would be awesome! Initially, they would be feeding her through a tube that goes directly into her stomach, but hopefully it wouldn't be long until she could start on a bottle.

Both of the girls have a follow up Brain Scan today to ensure that they do not have a head bleed. We should have the results from that test either today or tomorrow.

Kylee continues to do very well with just her nasal cannula for her breathing. When she cries it sounds like a little kitten. It is heart wrenching when she gets upset, and all I want to do it pick her up and I can't. I have to leave her in her incubator and watch her suffer. They tried to place a picc line (long-term IV) last night, and the dumb PA missed it 3 times. I'm not a big fan of her practicing her skills on my 2lb baby. So they are going to try again soon to get that line. Once they have the picc line established, they will be taking out her arterial belly button line, and then we should be able to hold her. She has taken to a pacifier really well, and it seems to sooth her quite nicely.

Kaylyn is still intubated, and they probably won't extubate until her PDA is closer to being closed. She is doing well though. Her PDA is also causing some metabolic problems, and they have to correct some of it with medicine. Hopefully, once the duct closes things will improve greatly. Despite not being able to eat, somehow she managed to gain 2oz. yesterday, which is really good. She is going to be our little porker. We still have not have the opportunity to hold her, and I cannot wait for that moment.

All things considered, we are holding up OK. I'm not gonna lie, its the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I am just so thankful they are both doing OK, and hopefully we continue to move in a forward direction. The girls are already 6 days old, so we are almost a week into this. Soon it will all be a memory. Well, I'm off to the hospital now. Keith's grandma is giving me a ride since I still cannot drive. I will update as soon as I get a chance.

0 comments: